From Across The River And Under Shade Trees

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" -Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Rhode Islander by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

And So Began The 13 Days of Glory-REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

Send this to San Felipe by Expressnight & day
ToThe People of TexasandAll Americans


Commandancy of the Alamo--Bejar, Fby 24th 1836--
To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world--
Fellow citizens & compatriots--I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna--I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & havenot lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannonshot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country --

Victory or Death
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side --When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn --We have since found in desertedhouses 80 or 90 bushels & got intothe walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves -- Travis

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven Taylor said...

So which Alamo movie did you like best, John Wayne's or Billy Bob Thornton's?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I've only seen John Wayne's.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home